Pageviews last month

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Bouncer in Me...

Well, this year, those who have come to know me think I would make a good bouncer bc I am always breaking up fights at school. I told people close to me and myself that I was going to do better and stop before I really got hurt. So, here is how that is working out for me.

This week, there had been 2 fights in the 9th grade. I completely stayed out of them and called security. Thus, by today I was feeling pretty good about myself and my will power to remain Bouncer Free. However, today, I slipped. I tried to stick to my word and remain out of this fight as well. No, seriously, I did. But some how, it just didn't work out that way.

So, what had happened was:
I was in the hallway with a few hundred kids who were headed to lunch. I looked toward the girls restroom bc I heard a young lady yelling. I did not know her so when I saw her leap into the bathroom and all the kids ran that way, I went into my room and called security. As, I was telling my kids to remain seated, a student of mine said Ms. Turner it is VB. Well, VB is one of my favorite students. I mean, she makes straight A's, never talks out of turn, is a true kid who likes to try to beat me at thumb wrestling, and never has a non-bubbly day. Thus, I ran out of my room. The crowd was so large at this point that I didn't know how I was going to get to them. So, I got against the wall and began pulling kids back one by one until I got to the fight. To my surprise, when I came around the corner, sweet little VB had this girl who was twice her size and a trouble maker on the floor wearing her out. So, I threw VB over my shoulder and pushed us both through the crowd into a classroom where I literally had to hold her up bc she was so upset with the thought of being suspended and losing her A.

By this time security, who was following me through the crowd came to get her. I calmed her down and assured her that she did nothing wrong. I mean, you can't help but to fight if you are jumped. I also don't like that she will get the same suspension when she was not the aggressor. None the less, I slipped. I don't know what it is that comes out in me when I feel like one of these good kids could be hurt but it is all consuming and I feel like I have to help them. I guess I am a protector after all. Is that really such a bad thing?

My back will probably not be happy with me tomorrow. However, if she would have been hurt, my heart would not have forgiven me today. So, I am still trying to stay out of the role of bouncer. But I don't know if I will ever truly be able to let a kid be in danger without stepping in to help. It just seems to be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment