Pageviews last month

Monday, June 13, 2011

Just Laugh for Gays Sake

I have been reading about Tracy Morgan and his anti-gay rant during his stand up routine. Now, I do understand that some of the things he said were hurtful. However, I think that people have to start understanding that the world is not black and white and learn to laugh. Now I understand that this is hard for many people. Mainly bc when many people take a moral stance, it is generally from a religious stand point and religion presents most things in black and white. It leaves very little wiggle room. Now, what does this have to do with Morgan. I am getting to that.

Let me start with some examples of what was apparently said:

Gay people need to stop saying they were born that way. They were not born that way bc God doesn't make mistakes. Well, I am one person who has to say that this is an issue where I have to say I don't know.
Intellectually, I believe that love does not see gender, race, or religion. We are a socialized people. We are immersed in social morays from birth. During time periods where homosexuality was acceptable, there were many gay people. In times when that was not acceptable, there were fewer. This isn't bc they weren't there, it was bc they didn't want to be stoned.
 Personally, I can't remember a time when I wasn't attracted to women. I have ZERO attraction to men. I don't hate them, I just don't want to have sex with them.
Not so personally, I would like to point out that the "gay lifestyle" is not the easiest life to lead. Why would a man or woman live a life where he has to hide who he is at work to keep a job? Well, maybe that is a little personal. Why would kids risk ridicule, bullying, violence, and hatred from family if they could just "turn it off". It makes no sense.
So, on the issue, I feel that it is a grey area. Every person has a journey that is different and it isn't cut and dry. Maybe it is that some people are born gay and some are not. Maybe all people are born with the capacity to go either way and socialization, strength of self, and environment is the determining role.

Ugh, I am just starting and my brain already hurts. Plus, I am racing the washing machine bc I have laundry to do.

Now, before I defend Morgan, let me pick one more bone with him. The statement that God makes no mistakes as a reasoning for his belief. Again, the Christian religion practiced by most today attempts to make everything black and white when it just isn't.

1. Don't steal. Ok, this is a good one. I agree with this. Don't take other people's things. But, if I am a homeless kid whose parents kicked me out and it was between a blow job or stealing for dinner, I am gonna take my chances with stealing.
If a father can't feed his family and has a sick child, do we hate him for stealing some Tylenol to bring down the fever. No...Bc these are exceptions to the rule.

2. Don't kill. Again, I agree. Good call. BUT, if I am at home alone and a person breaks into my house and shoots at me, I'm going to shoot back and if said person dies, we all make choices. Guess, he chose the wrong house to break into. Self defense is recognized under the law bc it is a grey area.

Now, to give the Christians a break, my Hindu roommate believes if placed in situation 2 one should just allow it to happen as violence is always wrong. Clearly, I do not agree. So, religious people of the world, please stop trying to make a grey world black and white. I agree that many of the teachings of the Bible, Koran, and various others are good guidelines. But guidelines do not make them absolute on even the easiest topics like murder and stealing.

So, then why do you want to defend him do you ask? Bc there are double standards everywhere and we all are guilty of being a part of them. For instance, I have laughed hard at a Pimp Named Slick Back teaching a dude how to slap a ho. Now, I am a woman and I don't wanna be slapped. But it was humor. I have listened to Bernie Mack talking about punching a kid in the throat. I would never do this but I laughed. I find it funny when Bill Maher calls Noahs Ark a fairy tale no more believable than Jack and the Beanstalk. But Christians probably wouldn't laugh bc it mocks a belief held dear to them. I have laughed at comedians make fun of special people(this may offend parents of special needs kids), white people(this would offend my parents), religious people(this would offend Christians), and everything else under the sun. Of course it is offensive and nobody said you have to agree. I just pointed out above that  I agree with none of what he had to say. But he is a comedian. That is what he does. So, get over it. Learn to laugh at yourself and if a person is shown to have true hatred for something that applies to you....F&*k em....

And with that, I ahve to get to this laundry...

No comments:

Post a Comment